Claire Brown writes:
In summer it is common for most of us to suffer from sore cracked heels due to our feet being exposed to more of the elements through open sandals and bare feet.
Heel cracks occur when the skin loses its moisture content and dries out and cracks. The heel pad wants to expand outward, but the skin is not pliable enough to expand with it, so it cracks.
Now, there are many commercial products out there which could help and some that are just useless but I recommend you go natural and try these homemade cures that will leave you with silky smooth heels in no time.
There are tons of natural remedies out there you could try but I am going to share my favourite three:
1. In a basin/bucket/foot spa of warm water dip your feet in a mixture of a tablespoon of each ingredient: raw salt, lemon juice, glycerine and rose water. Soak
your feet for 20 minutes in this water. Then use a pumice stone or foot scrubber to scrub your heels and sides of the feet gently. This will remove all the dead/dry skin and allow the new skin underneath to get the goodness. Wash off with clean warm water.
2. One never thinks of bananas being good for your feet but they actually are. This recipe is really simple. Just take the pulp of a ripe banana and apply over cracked parts of the heel and feet. Leave on for 10 minutes and wash off.
3. This is one I really enjoy: To three teaspoons of honey, add the same quantity of apple cider vinegar to make a thick paste. Then add three teaspoons of coarse sugar and rub on feet immediately. A nice addition is to add a spoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil. Continue to rub on your feet until the sugar is dissolved. Then soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes and gently scrub it again with this paste to remove all dead skin from your feet and allow the goodness in.
There are some necessary foot care elements I recommend you always have:
• A Loofah to Exfoliate: Loofah is a dried fruit fibre which is widely available. Loofah is mainly meant for the exfoliation of dry, dead skin to bring out the soft new skin outside. To effectively use a Loofah, soak it in warm water for 10 minutes, this makes it moderately soft and suitable for exfoliation. Then soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes before use.
• A good moisturiser to pamper your heels with after.
• Aromatherapy gel socks sold by Dischem – they are amazing!